Interested in skating for fun, fitness or roller derby? Then what better way to start than by putting on some skates and coming along to a GPRD Freshie training session!
Here at GPRD, we offer Learn to skate training sessions (AKA Grey Level Training) for all skaters over the age of 16. We encourage everyone to get involved, even if you’re an absolute beginner! The sessions are aimed at providing a fun, learning environment where we will teach you both basic and advanced skating skills.
Our coach’ KK Ruff’n’Stuff ‘ will focus on
- Skating technique and skills including stops, falls, jumps, proper skating technique (cross-over and form).
- Various drills aimed to improve control, speed, agility, balance and confidence
What do I need to bring to a Grey Level training session?: Comfortable clothes, a water bottle, quad skates and/or protective skating gear if you have them (not essential) and a ‘Can-Do’ attitude.
What are the benefits?
Whether you are looking at improving your fitness, hoping to become a GPRD bouting skater or simply wanting to try a fun new sport, the Grey Level session has something in it for everyone.
The league currently holds intake days sporadically throughout the year although you are encouraged to turn up to a fresh meat training session at any time.
Once our coaches feel that you are comfortable on skates and can confidently complete the skating skills and drills, we will invite you to attend our ‘Pink Level Training’ session.
Our Coaches ‘Duncan Manutz’ and ‘Blackout Menace’ will focus on
- General fitness: cardio endurance, strength and stretching.
- Rules and tactics: rules and game play basics.
- Balance and confidence when skating close to others. This may include pace lines, pair-work and pack-work.
- Blocking and Jamming skills and Strategy knowledge.
What do I need to bring to a Pink Level training session?: Quad skates, helmet, elbow pads, wrist guards, knee pads, mouth guard and a determination to improve.
Get involved now!
So this sounds like something you might be interested in? Come along and join in the fun!
Our Program is structured:
- Grey Level – Learn to Skate / Skate for Fitness
- Pink Level – Derby focused
Come along at the following times:
- Tuesday 6:00pm – 7:15pm
- Sunday 12:00pm – 2:15pm
The cost is $9 for non PCYC members and $7 for PCYC members per session which includes use of the rental skates.
If you have any questions or would like to register your interest, please email email@example.com. The Fresh Meat Coaching staff will provide you with all the details to get you started.
See you on the track!